Deled going open sourceCommunity Forums/Developer Stations/Deled going open source
| check the news here|
On jan 15th Deled will be going open source making the pro version free(I know it was cheap anyway)
| Nice move by the devs... I liked their explanation of why they're doing it. Props to them. |
| 15th of January also means DeleD Pro will be free, this is a very capable modeller/world builder, could be a big deal for anyone wanting to use it for their Blitz project but could not afford it. |
| Another one!|
I found the current free version a little too complicated, but then, I suck at 3D modelling! - a decent free modelling package is very handy though :D
| There comes a enterprise/commercial edition wich costs $600 up.. The community edition (opensource) will be not the only one, i think.|
It is a normal step to build a commercial community (noteless). This make realy money, so long there are many wich use it.
The best example is here Magento ( webshop system, www. magentocommerce.com ):
1. the product was complete opensource
2. ~twelve months later: "8,900 USD/year"-license-edition. ( www. magentocommerce.com/product/enterprise-edition )
3. one week later: features of the opensource edition are cutted. In all previus versions they are completely excluded (removed).
Rest in peace, Deled
on jan 15th
| From the DeLeD forum|
Here are the details of our plans:
- DeleD PRO will be sold up to december 31st to anyone that cannot wait until january 15th. After that, it'll cease to exist. PRO features will be merged with LITE into a new, open sourced DeleD CE (which stands for Community Edition).
- The forum will remain the base of the DeleD community, and will be extended with shiny new developer sections. We will, of course, continue to be frequent visitors of the forum.
- The sourcecode will be hosted on SourceForge. It might not be the best host, but it definitely has the most developers on it.
- Sourcecode of plugins will also be open sourced, including the Torque Export plugin.
- The website will be reduced to a simple front page with links to the forums, the wiki and the gallery, as well as quick access to downloads.
- Jeroen and Paul-Jan will continue to contribute to the project, but hopefully won't need to be in charge.
| this is not different to the status as magento became _realy_ opensource. It _was_ realy opensource. I think deled is into the first time _realy_ opensource, too.|
I grab the source and compile before codes become buged & cutted into the next years. Stable and old does not mean less usefull. Bugy and new is not practically usefull.