Light map for minib3d from blender?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Light map for minib3d from blender?

ima747(Posted 2007) [#1]
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to make a lightmap in blender and get it working in minib3d? I found a tut on making a lightmap that I don't fully understand but it seems to work well enough. However it involves creating a second UV mapped layer on the textured objects. This looks OK in blender but to get it into b3d format I export it to 3ds and run it through Decorator. But that only supports one texture layer it seems so I either get the lightmap texture, or the proper textures... any thoughts? someone mentioned an exporter from blender to b3d that worked with light maps but I can't find it anywhere. There is a b3d exporter for blender but it's not Blitz3D it's some other .b3d extension format... Brucey in the minib3d forums is working on an exporter but I don't know how long it might take to get to a point where it can handle that kind of an export...

Is there a better way to do light mapping?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#2]
I use giles as an in between.

Blender as X then into giles, lightmap and out as a b3d.

ima747(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'll look into it. is there a reason you use blender to x instead of blender to 3ds? X exporting seems unreliable to me, but maybe I'm just not doing it right...

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#4]
yes X is better (well, i think so) than 3ds. 3ds can only support 8.3 filenames in textures.

Wit the X export, you need to get the settings right. I think from memory, its right handed with no flipped normals and no no shading.

There are loads of different Xexports the one that comes with it works well, if you get the right options.
Also, if you have child entitys, you need to apply rotation and scaling to them, otherwise they appear all over the place.

ima747(Posted 2007) [#5]
Hmmm cool I will have to poke at it more I know I haven't tried those settings so that could be my problem.

I've started using slim shady (cuz it's free and I'm cheap) with very promising results so far. a few glitches but I'm working around them, I suspect using x export instead of 3ds would work much better if I can get the settings right... thanks much for your help!