LightWave ConvertersCommunity Forums/Developer Stations/LightWave Converters
| I have LightWave 8 and would love to be able to use it for making some Blitz content, but the links for converters on the "Specs and utils" links are busted. If anyone has working copies, would you please upload them somewhere or maybe email me a copy? I am especially looking for the one by Lee Page because I have heard more about it :)|
| check your email|
there are a few lightwavers on here so any probs post em, im sure someone will help
| Thanks Scribbla!|
I am having trouble getting it to work though. I made a super low res, single layer closed mesh (a pair of legs) to test out the deform part of the converter. The Rigid converter worked but nothing seems to work animated. My object is only 92 polys tripled. I tried with and without weightmaps and uv textures, I tried from skelegons and from setup in Layout without skelegons. I baked all the animation, so that shouldnt be a problem. Does the location of the files or programs matter? Or the naming conventions or UV types or anything? Is there anything else I should know? (I am actually running LW 8.5 Build 700 if it matters).
Scribbla already gave me these tips:
1) only one weight map on mesh
2) no skelegons in mesh
| you will need to use weight maps only|
sent you a test scene file that converts,,,check ya mail
and have a good look at the object properties set up
| I think I might have figured out my problem. I had been using a normal directory structure - I had my scene files and object files in different folders the way LightWave likes things. When I put the objects and scenes in the same place I was able to successfully convert a scene. Other than that I don't think I did anything different.|
Am I right that they need to be in the same directory, or have you guys been successful even with them separated?
Thanks again everyone!
| I think I have them all on the same folder... been a while since I have converted anything so I can't be 100% sure. |
| There is quite a good DirectX exporter plugin for Layout (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/products/plugin_j/object.htm .. don't be put off by the Japanese-language site, the plugin is in English). It does a great job, and will save boned animations etc. Of course, Blitz won't read DirectX8, so I then need to use Ultimate Unwrap 3D to load the file in and export as a B3D. It works great, though. |
| ummmm ive only just got back into the LW converter (lwdeform) and im having problems with the record pivot again..although this could be me using the wrong version|
im sure i got this to work a while ago, when Lee did it
, i guess its back to the poor bone tools ,
my god if rotate skelegon and the pitch handles in modeler ever works , i will give birth to a dodo
unless as usual, its me getting it all wrong again ;)
edit# yep it was me using an old version
| Sorry for reviving this thread but I have a lightwave model that I purchased and I want to convert it to b3d.|
I'm trying to us DStorm's DirectX export plugin but if I leave the settings as default the app crashes to desktop.
If I set Keyframes only on the Animations tab then it saves a .x file but it's only 1k and empty.
Can someone give me an idiots guide? Thanks! :)
| Any Lightwavers around? I'm desperate to convert my LWS into something usable... |
| have you tried Terrabits lwconvert.zip |
| Yes, unfortunately the animation gets messed up and I'm not sure what I need to change for it to convert correctly. |
| i dont seem to have a problems with it .. are you setting things up in the right way, weightmaps and so on |
| if you are exporting an animated model from lightwave with terabits exporter, the motion will be converted linear, not like it is in Lightwave. Also, you must be carefully while weightmapping the model. |
| I've had trouble before as well.|
My personal approach is to export to .X format from LW then convert it from .X to .B3D using unwrap 3d ($50). It's a great program and works like a charm.
BTW, Svenart's right about the linear conversion. For the most part I just bake all keys. I currently have several hundred frames of animtaion on my main character and the .b3d file size is still only around 1.5 meg in size.