Problems Exporting from 3ds Max

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Problems Exporting from 3ds Max

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've got a pretty simple file here. It's around 80-90k polys and only a few objects. No animation, no non-meshes like cameras or lights. I simply want to get it into Gile[s]

I've tried:

1) Export to b3d via pipeline. All the objects are misplaced, misrotated and some seem to be missing completely. Never seen this with Pipeline before, so don't know how to fix it.

2) Export to Ultimate Unwrap U3d format. Works fine, but hangs when converting to b3d in Ultimate Unwrap.

3) Export to ASE. Causes a MAV when importing into Gile[s]

I'm not sure if there much else left.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#2]
for max6 and

for max5 I think it is (remember many of the plugins for max4 worked in max5....but I'd try first to copy the max6 version in ur max5, looked long ago in company like the plugin had improved in some probs...)

Funnily , I think the version for 6 has not a problem that *maybe* is in version for 4,5.
Check your self.

I exported in companies many times with those....

OBJ does not change loaction, etc....
it support vertex normals(like *.x) plus smooth groups.

maybe as a whole, it changes the main scene rotation axis, but u have a rotation check box to fix it if find probs.

Must totally work.

I'm a giles user and I export from my own tools in OBJ, no probs.U don't need a second uv channel export, as giles takes ur first and creates a second and automatic mapping for it.

I recommend to export the OBJ directly from max, as not sure if UU looses the smooth group and/or smoothing normals info....

This works even with 200k tris, and surely whatever.

OBJ is an ascii list of coords, with some tags...

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks Bob. The Habware site appears to be down, but I was fairly sure I already had one of their plugins installed. Sure enough, I was able to export to obj. Unfortunately, Gile[s] MAV'ed again when trying to load the obj.

I guess there's something about my geometry that Gile[s] ( or Blitz ) doesn't like, but I don't know what. I know I'm not going over the max number of vers or tri's in any given entity, because I split everything up into sections before I began. Beyond that, I'm pretty confused. Pipeline doesn't throw any errors and indeed produces a valid B3d file, just one that barely resembles what I had in Max.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#4]
all formats give probs...then it's in your scene.

hey, habware is not down :


- Model is fully quadrangulated or triangulated, or try both.
-You applied at least an autosmooth for normals.
-Too many objects or groups? too many materials? too many textures? All them can produce fatal bottlenecks, added the polycount issue.

-sometimes scale to huge or too small.

-inverted normals, face order.

-did you collapse the stack to edit mesh or edit poly previous to export? is a good measure...

-are there nurbs, or some kind of non poly stuff..?

-faces with just two vertices?

-model is weldel (try a weld model, checking only vertex in "weld model" at Ultimate Unwrap)

These are general problem bringers, not that should be your issue.Is what I'd check.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#5]
Well I've gone through the model piece by piece and eventually pinned it down to one entity. That entity has around 7,000 vertices and 11,000 triangles. It loads fine into Blitz directly and also into Ultimate Unwrap, but Gile[s] MAV's if I try to load it. I split it into two pieces and it's fine. Odd, but it's a solution.

EddieRay(Posted 2005) [#6]
Sybixsus, have you mentioned this on Fredborg's gile[s] forums? I'm sure he'd fix it up if there's a problem...

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#7]
If I export to ASE, it's a sixty meg file. I don't really want to be uploading that for him to look at, and with the number of people using Gile[s], I'm sure it would have come up by now if it were a problem. Whatever the reason Gile[s] breaks loading it, it's probably a good reason. And it's not unreasonable for me to have to break up my 11,000 poly model into two 5,500 poly models.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#8]
I loaded just yesterday a 85.000 quads OBJ into giles...(a level) No issues. Just had a dinner while it loaded, lol. :)

When got back it was perfectly there...

Only one object, quite a bunch of materials.

It stayed as stuck in the progress bar, but left it, and when got back, the scen was ok loaded.